The Institute’s Highly Interactive English Teacher Training Program
English Teacher Training: the Communicative Approach
Founded on the principles that have garnered plaudits for the Institute’s ESL and foreign language programs since 1981 – read over 200 graduate testimonials for the TEFL Certificate Program since 2001 – our ESL teacher training* course affords extensive opportunities to our TEFL trainees to practice what you study in an interactive learning environment. Your trainers will model the teaching techniques to be mastered in our TEFL training program. You, the trainee, follow with skill-building activities, both individually and in small groups, and lead your own ESL practice teaching classes to foreign students for a minimum of 6 hours. You will receive guidance and feedback from our experienced teacher trainers, who observe each of your lessons in their entirety.
Course Content: ESL Teacher TrainingIn this course, you will
- learn to plan and teach lessons according to The Boston Language Institute’s application of the Communicative Approach. You will cover the 4 basic teaching skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking;
- develop the ability to create your own materials to introduce and integrate these skills in a lively, enjoyable and productive format;
- review English grammar and learn to create dynamic, effective grammar lessons;
- learn to teach students with particular needs, such as business people and children;
- develop classroom management skills;
- learn to work with different cultures and in different cultural environments;
- learn to teach any language you know through the program’s transferrable teaching methods;
- learn to locate and evaluate English teaching jobs overseas and in the United States;
- learn to present yourself through your resume and cover letter, and in interviews;
…and much more.
The full-time TEFL Certificate Program is an intensive 4-week course that meets Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for a total of 120 hours of instruction.
The part-time program meets Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for 12 weeks and 96 hours of classroom time. It is the same program as the full-time course; some lesson-planning hours are done as homework with instructor guidance via email, thus completing the 120-hour program.
The Certificate ... and a bonus
The Boston Language Institute's internationally recognized TEFL Certificate is awarded at the completion of the program. In order to earn the certificate, you must attend and participate in all course modules, successfully teach 6 class hours and complete a final project, which becomes your portfolio. All graduates receive a letter of recommendation and lifetime career support. As a bonus, all graduates receive a free 6-week program (4 weeks in summer) in any of the Institute's 12 most popular foreign languages.
*For detailed information about various abbreviations, please visit the Glossary page.